General squicks, triggers, and loves by category.
Table of contents
- established relationships with a ton of history behind them
- expanding on the worldbuilding or character or relationship history
- characters’ canonical competence—whether that’s watching them acquire their skills or ply them
- characters geeking out on the things they love
- languages or communicating around not sharing one
- the aftermath of or recovery from or learning to live with permanent or major disability or injury
I love it when stories incorporate cultural details, details on how the world works like the economy, industry, religion, or social circles and rules, and language details, whether that’s just the acknowledgement of how language is used or actual other language in-fic. I prefer getting dropped into a fully formed world that doesn’t always bother to explain everything, and love it when differing cultures and viewpoints within the world clash. I adore internally consistent pseudo-science and technobabble, origin stories, alternate races, and well-developed power systems for magic, technology.
With superhumans, I love things that explore how abilities work under the hood, how to train them or master them, and love digging into experimentation backstories and the consequences of the rules of how power works.
If there are magical or technological artifacts or objects in canon, I love exploration of those and consequences and extrapolations from whatever canonical details we have, e.g. the Dresden Slate of K or the anacapa drive of the Diving Series. I want to know so much more about either.
I’m equally in love with superhumans and fantastical “science fiction” abilities and science developed to the point of being magic or with fantasy creatures like fairies and dragons and actual magic systems whether predictable and following rules or wild and unpredictable, so go with whatever you love best or makes more sense to you. I’m also happy with handwaves for how a magic or science fiction premise works so long as the way it works is internally consistent.
I love seeing what makes characters tick and exploring how their particular upbringing or culture or biology or power makes them who they are or gives them challenges to overcome. I love watching characters figure out who they are or where they belong, learning who they are when something fundamental about their view of themself changes, or how they hold onto who they are in the face of others who either oppose or support them. I love seeing how their relationships, whether family, friends, or lovers, figure into all of that.
“Just Met” Get Together Shipfic
I love relationship fics where characters have real differences in personalities, temperaments, cultures, even morals and values that they have to work through in order to have a relationship, where what keeps them apart aren’t silly misunderstandings but having to get to know each other and overcome trust issues or their own personal emotional difficulties. I would love to see sex in these stories but preferably after it’s been earned. If you just get them to the kissing stage, that’s fine too and I love a good kissing scene!
“Know Each Other Well” Get Together Shipfic
I love pining! I love characters being in the situation where nakedness or vulnerability could come up and the pining character feels awkward or horrified but turned on because the other party doesn’t know their true feelings. I love when they don’t want to ruin their relationship or truly believe it’s unrequited and it’s not just stupidity that they don’t say something. I love it when both are in the same boat and it’s mutual or when it’s truly one-sided, so long as the friendship or partnership survives them deciding whether or not they love the other one back, regardless of which they choose. I love platonically married partners or estranged friends that could have been more and now get another shot at reconciling their differences and becoming something more. I love it messy and angsty and complicated and knowing each other enough to hurt each other, and I love it leavened with some gentle humor if I can get it and a happy ending.
I absolutely love established relationships where you can feel the history between them—in little things they know about each other or do around each other without even thinking about it, in inside references and little details showing up throughout that imply stories we aren’t being told right now. I love it when there’s palpable tension between two people that are on the outs for any reason, where they gloss over big discussions or use a simple line or detail to stand in for a whole story or chunk of history. I prefer not to have “as you know Bob” coredumps on history, though I don’t mind exposition here and there. I love tension and these longstanding pet peeves to also show up, where just because they’ve been together a long time or known each other forever, doesn’t mean they always get along without having to work at it.
- surprise scares
- puncture wounds or gaping wounds
- mind control
- witchcraft terminology (non-witchcraft magic systems are fine)
- body-related humor
- sickness-related yuck
- bodily fluids other than blood
- non-canonical infidelity/cheating or other betrayal
- graphic violence or gore
- unrequested non-canonical or open relationships
- unrequested non-canonical character death
- I also have no problem with assassination but do have a problem with murder. I know. Fine line.
- foreplay, body worship
- arousal / desperate arousal
- biting, nipping
- sensory deprivation / blindfolds
- bloodplay (I like both blood from rough sex/knives and biting but get squicked by bites that draw more than a little blood)
- weapons play (especially the weapons associated with a particular character) with clean wounds
- delayed orgasm
- non-lifestyle D/s (prefer spoiling and praise to humiliation)
- situational power dynamics or sex pollen / compromised consent type dub-con
- phone sex
- wall sex
- pinning people against walls with knives leads to sex
- girl on top
- very very quiet sex
- using powers during sex
- wing kink
- consensual somnophilia
- heat sex / mating cycles / kemmer / canon-compliant a/b/o, first time heat
I’m into scenting, knotting, desperate heat sex, desperate arousal, possessive nesting or cuddling, and did I mention desperation? Also love claiming with bites or temporary soulbond lite, do like description of scents and pheromones, lots of body worship because the heat’s made someone irresistible, and enjoy a bit of a case of dysphoria or body horror over how their body is out of their control and really doesn’t care about what they want intellectually.
If there’s a beta in the ship, I prefer betas that are considered part of the ideal threesome and aren’t sidelined as caretaker or “normal.” I prefer if a/b/o gender does not overwrite canon personality, people can still fight their instincts if that’s in character for them, and attraction is to particular alphas, betas, or omegas, not just anyone at all of the right secondary gender. Prefer no unrequested pregnancy, systemic oppression of and prejudice toward omegas, and please don’t use any dog/wolf/puppy terminology or focus on scent “glands” (scent fine), kinking on breeding the omega, or “presenting”.
I’ll read but am not a fan of oral sex or cock rings/cages. If you need them to make a requested kink or trope work, it’s fine but preferably not for their own sake.
Please don’t use
- stock porn phrases in dirty talk
- water sports
- sex toys
- bodily fluids other than blood (am fine knowing there’s fluids in sex, just don’t want to read any graphic descriptions at all)
- lifestyle D/s
- consent play
- unrequested incest
- unrequested underage
- non-canon compliant a/b/o or anti-omega prejudice
- unrequested non-situational dub-con
- the endearment “babe” or “baby” if not canonical
- wingfic (especially feathered wings)
- living weapons
- soulmates, soulmarks (not names), soulbonds
- hurt/comfortverse (where the need to comfort is directed toward those one cares about, not just everybody ever)
- secret relationships
- sharing a bed
- domestic fic
- holiday fic
- arranged marriage, fake marriage
- friends/rivals to lovers
- AIs and androids and living ships, etc. (no fleshy bio ships please, prefer metal)
- accidental relationships
- time travel with consequences
- fantasy/mythology AUs
- missing sense (especially deafness or blindness)
- animal transformations/shapeshifter
- brainwashing recovery/aftermath
- crossovers/fusions with a focus on worldbuilding or how the new characters change the shape of the world and story
- canon-divergent AUs
- unrequested alternate gender norms
- mind control (even canonical)
- any length from drabble to epic
- N+1 fics
- mixed media
- interactive fiction
- traditional narrative
- footnotes (especially linked)
- multi-language fics with translations including binary or canon-specific stuff
- any person or tense
- most audio-dependent formats (exception is fanmixes / fanvids)
Would adore art of anything I’ve written in any fandom.
I love so many art styles: line art, pen and ink, pencil drawings, colored pencils, paint, watercolor, digital art, etc. I’d say my favorite things in art tend to be the awe-inspiring realistic with vibrant colors and sharp or soft edges, line art / ink / pencil theme pieces that pick up visual symbols of the characters, and cute stylized fluff pieces with romance or humor in mind. I also adore illustrative art that captures a scene or moment of fic or canon. I would absolutely love landscapes or still lifes of any of the scenery or environments or architecture, etc. of any of my fantasy canons or the home environments of requested characters.
For character / relationship shots, I love depictions of characters using their powers or signature weapons or skills, and I love relationship shots that capture soft moments or antagonistic tension or one person being shocked at receiving a kiss or snuggling or sleeping together in the bed or watching over someone sleep or cooking with or for each other.
Please don’t draw any of my general, trope, or kink-related DNWs. Also, emaciated character styling or really red noses.